Saturday, January 10, 2015

Things you may or may not know about me - Day Nine

Things you may or may not know about me - Day Nine

I love Genealogy- It's who I am... I love to dabble into my families genealogy. Since resources are available,  I have been able to find out a lot of information about my family.  On my fathers side, I found out what town my grandfather was from, from Ellis Island.org and I went to the towns website.  I wrote to the three contacts on the website.  One man Pietro, wrote back to me a few days later and gave me photos of some of my cousins over in Gioia Sannitica.  I knew they were family because they had a mass card for my great uncle who passed the year before I was born.  Since finding out about my family over in Italy, I met them when I visited them and they also came here to visit.  It certainly has been a blessing to know all of them.  We keep in contact through social media now.  As far as my fathers side, one thing I would love to do is to connect all the Maturos to my family because I feel we are all related.

On my mothers sice, I have traced my family on my mothers side back to the 1600's.  My grandparents came from Canada and I was able to trace the family back to when the King of France sent women over from France to help settle Canada. " The filles du roi, or King's Daughters, were some 770 women who arrived in the colony of New France (Canada) between 1663 and 1673, under the financial sponsorship of King Louis XIV of France."

My next step is to do my Ancestry DNA.. can't wait to see what that will show.



1 comment:

  1. How interesting. I have never heard of the daughters of France, I am going to read up on that :)

    ReplyDelete